Hub @ Home Brew Guide
The Kalita’s flat-bottomed design is intended to yield a fuller and more even extraction. The wavy filter design reduces contact between the brew space and the dripper itself, allowing for increased airflow.
- Kalita wave brewer
- Kalita wave filter
- Gram scale
- Water Kettle
- 24g freshly ground Hub coffee, at medium/fine grind
- 500ml water at 200 degrees F (about 30 sec off a fresh boil)
1. Place dripper on top of decanting vessel (cup/mug/carafe/etc.). Place filter in dripper and wet with hot water.
Empty vessel of excess water.
2. Dose coffee, grind, and place in bottom of filter. Tap or shake gently to evenly distribute the grounds. Place brewer on scale and tare.
3. Simultaneously start timer and begin gently pouring water into center of grounds.
Water should spread to saturate all grounds using 40-60 grams.
4. Let coffee bloom, or degas, until timer reaches 30 sec.
5. Pour freely in center of cone, reaching 400 grams by 1:45-2 minutes.
6. Stop pouring and allow extraction to finish. All or most of the liquid should drip through by 2:30-3:00 minutes.
7. Remove filter and discard grounds. Do not worry if there is still some water in the cone at 3 minutes; pull it anyway to avoid bitterness from over-extraction.
8. Serve and enjoy!