Hub @ Home Brew Guide
The Chemex brewing method has been around since 1941. Its sleek and elegant design makes it a beautiful visual piece to display in your home. As well as being known to reduce bitterness in your brew, it is also the preferred brewing method of one Mr. Bond, James Bond.
- Chemex brewer
- Chemex paper filter
- Gram scale
- Water Kettle
- Spoon or other stirring utensil
- 30g freshly ground Hub coffee at medium/fine grind to yield about 16oz finished brew
- 600ml water at 200 degrees F (about 30 sec off a fresh boil)
1. Fold filter and place in brewer with the three-layered side facing the spout.
2. Wet the filter with hot water, making sure to form a seal between the filter and the brewer.
Gently empty water without disturbing the seal.
3. Dose coffee, grind, and place in bottom of filter. Tap or shake gently to evenly distribute grounds. Place brewer on scale and tare.
4. Simultaneously start timer and begin gently pouring water into center of grounds. Water should spread from divot to saturate all grounds using about 50 grams.
5. Gently stir the coffee, then let bloom, or degas, until timer reaches 30 sec.
6. Begin pouring again in a gentle pattern of concentric circles until water level is ¼ inch from top of cone.
7. Pour continuously in center of cone, keeping flow rate steady and water level consistent. You should reach 500 grams by 1:30 minutes.
8. Stop pouring and allow extraction to finish. All or most of the liquid should drip through by 3:30-4:00 minutes.
9. Remove cone and discard filter and grounds. Do not worry if there is still some water in the cone at 4 minutes; pull it anyway to avoid bitterness from over-extraction.
10. Serve and enjoy!